Android development has improved by a few leaps and bounds since the last time I touched it, but it’s still fraught with numerous tiny inconsistencies and gotchas. One I ran into recently came in the form of writing to an SD card. In my AndroidManifest.xml, I added the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission. Three times I failed, not sure why despite the permission I was still getting access denied.
“<uses-feature android:name=”android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE” />”
If you don’t see the issue, that’s okay. The problem was I used ‘uses-feature’ instead of ‘uses-permission’.
“<uses-permission android:name=”android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE” />”
This time I used the correct tag, but had the uses-permission _inside_ the application tag.
This compiled and ran without problems, but led to the permission error I mentioned above.
Okay, move the
It’s not hard to imagine that this sort of hiccup would be baffling and upsetting to a newcomer. Make note of this as one more edge to file off the SDK.